At this particular moment in time, it doesn’t matter which side you fall on for the new Tax Cuts and Jobs Act passed in late December, 2017, it will have an impact on both your personal finances and your business’s financial situation.
Employers in all states must make sure that their state labor law posters are up-to-date on a regular basis. Here are a few state changes and their effective dates:
- Minimum wage increases effective 1/1/18, for Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri,Montana, New Jersey, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Dakota, and Washington.
- Minimum wage increase effective 12/31/17 for New York.
- Transgender rights and discrimination laws in California effective 1/1/18.
- OSHA laws effective 1/1/18, and wage and hour laws effective 7/10/17, in Hawaii.
- Rules to be Observed by Employers in Nevada effective 7/1/17.
- Wage and Hour Notice to Employees in North Carolina, effective 12/31/17.
- Reasonable Accommodations for Pregnancy in Vermont, effective 1/1/18.
All employers in these states should check their state employment law posters to make sure that they are up-to-date with the new laws effective immediately. For additional information on these new updates, please contact us at www.newfocushr.com
Have you thought about hiring someone to do the marketing, human resources, or payroll for your small business? Are you confused about how the relationship works between contractors and subcontractors and your business? Do you wonder how these arrangements may affect your payroll? Many times the terms – contractor and subcontractor – are used interchangeably; however, key differences do exist between the two roles. Therefore, The Payroll Department would like to clarify these terms and explain how they relate to your business’s payroll. (more…)
Managing the day-to-day operations of your business can keep any owner busy. Top it off with the holiday seasons’ flurry of vacation time and sick days, and you’ve got an even bigger challenge. Payroll and paid time off for employees can get complicated. But The Payroll Department is always ready to help you simplify and make payroll details manageable.
We’ve had a big change at The Payroll Department this past year and people are still a little surprised by it. To us, it just makes sense. Customer service becomes a new customer service at The Payroll Department. We see the addition of bookkeeping services as a truly natural extension of the services we offer, for a couple of reasons. (more…)